Foreign visitors who wish to visit India must obtain a visa to enter the country. The only countries that do not require a visa or passport to enter India are citizens of Bhutan and Nepal. In 2014, India launched an electronic visa system that simplified the process of obtaining a visa to visit the country. Currently, citizens of over a hundred countries can easily obtain their INDIAN VISA ON ARRIVAL by completing an online form and providing some biographical details.
What is the visa on arrival?
The visa on arrival is part of the e-Visa India program. Every traveler that arrives in India with a valid India e-Visa will also receive a visa on arrival in the form of a sticker. The sticker is placed on a page in the passport when going through immigration control. In order to receive the visa on arrival for India sticker, the traveler must show their printed copy of their e-Visa for India along with the passport. Be mindful that there are three main categories of e-Visa for India: the e-Tourist visa, e-Business visa, and the e-Medical visa.
It is important to know that foreign citizens cannot obtain their visa on arrival sticker unless they have already applied for the India e-Visa. All holders of the Indian electronic visa must print a copy of their approved visa, which is sent directly to their email address.
However, it should be noted that citizens of Japan and South Korea can arrive for a visa on arrival (VOA) when entering India through Bengaluru, Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Kolkata or Mumbai. Japanese and South Koreans can also apply online for their e-Visa, as it can be used at 28 airports and 5 sea ports.
How to apply for the India visa on arrival?
Eligible citizens for the India visa on arrival are in fact eligible for the India e-Visa. To get the electronic visa for India, applicants need to have a passport with a minimum validity of at least six months from the expected date of arrival in India. Besides the passport, applicants need a debit or credit card to pay for the visa fee and an email address where the approved e-Visa is sent to.
All travelers who are able to apply online for their India e-Visa must fill out several details. An India e-Visa applicant must provide the following information on the form:
- Passport details: number, place of issue, date of issue and expiration date
- Port of arrival and expected date of arrival
- Date of birth and place of birth
- Full name as it appears on your passport
- Marital status
At the end of the application it be will necessary to answer a series of security questions. After being submitted, most applications are processed within four days. If approved, the e-Visa will be sent directly to email address the applicant provided on their application.
Upon arrival in India, holders of the e-Visa for INDIAN VISA APPLICATION ONLINE will receive the on arrival sticker on their passport. The India e-Visa grants a stay of up to 60 days in India, from the date of first entry in the country.
What are the preconditions of the new India Visa On Arrival?
The following are the pre-conditions of applying for an Indian Online Visa (eVisa India).
- Passport validity for 6 months. The date on which you land in India, from that date, your passport should be valid for 6 months. For example, if you land India on the 1st of January 2021, your passport should be valid until 1st July 2020. It should not expire prior to 1st July 2020.
- Proof of funds. Indian Government or Immigration Officers at the border may ask you for proof of sufficient funds during your stay in India. You could be denied entry if you are unable to provide this proof.
- Photograph of your face.
- Photo or Scan Copy of your Passport
- A reference in India and a reference your home country
- A valid email address
- A payment method like paypal, debit card or credit card.
How long does it take to get Indian Visa On Arrival?
India Visa On Arrival, or the eVisa India is available for most circumstances within 72-96 hours or 4 days. It can take up to 7 days in certain circumstances.
Can I get India Visa On Arrival at the Airport?
No, you have to apply for Indian Visa Online using the India Visa Application Form. There is no paper equivalent for this Indian eVisa.
What does this mean for Travellers to India?
For travellers to India, this India Visa Online presents extreme comfort because:
- There is no requirement to get any documents attested
- Or notarised
- No need to visit Indian embassy or Indian high commission in person
- No need to courier passport
- No requirement to get physical paper stamp
- No in person interview for Visa
- Process is completed in 3 to 4 business days
- Indian Visa Online (eVisa India) is delivered by Email.