Kolhapuri chappals or simply a Kolhapuri are footwear pieces that appear as handcrafted marvels made out of a wide range of materials -especially leather. A classic pair of Kolhapuri chappals is capable of complementing any outfit -whether traditional or contemporary, while elevating your style quotient effortlessly. The chappals have undergone innovations through several decades to serve as highly sought-after footwear pieces in India and abroad.
Designer Kolhapuri chappals create the essential ethnic vibe. The best part is that it can go well with almost any outfit and occasion. Kolhapuri chappals are not just ethnic. When you use them strategically, you can pair them with any type of attire stylishly.
An Insight into the History of Kolhapuri chappal
As per historical evidence, the first-ever Kolhapuri chappals were worn during the early 13th century. The origin of Kolhapuri chappals took place in Maharashtra. Initially, they were known as Pukari, Bakkalnali, Pie-taan, Kapashi, and Kachkadi. These were the names of multiple villages wherein the chappals were designed and handcrafted.
The royal family of Maharashtra -known as Saudagars, were the first families to discover the overall uniqueness and charm of Kolhapuri chappals. They ended up lending their creativity to what is now known as the classic Kolhapuri chappal. In the era of Saudagars, thinner and sleeker Kolhapuri chappals were designed. They featured two flaps on either side. This was named as Kanwali. It implied a chappal or footwear with ears. The chappals depicted a little piece of decorative fur-like ball towards the center -imparting it an elaborate and royal appeal.
Several years later, the iconic chappals or footwear designs were spotted by J. J. & Sons -a prominent shoe retailer in Bombay. The brand ended up ordering around 20 pairs from the famous Saudagar family and continued selling it in Bombay. Since the time, Kolhapuri chappals gained immense impetus amongst footwear fanatics.
You can come across a number of specialized crafts people in Kolhapur in Maharashtra specializing in the designing and creation of bespoke Kolhapuri chappals only.
How are Kolhapuri chappals Made?
Even though we tend to live in the digitized era while thriving on the modern, digital technology, we cannot forget our ancestral glory -especially in the field of art. Whether you name them Kolhapuri, Bakkalnali, Kapashi, Kachn, or Pukari, the unique handcrafted form of art is not only ecstatic, but also eco-friendly and highly sustainable.
Most of the families in the district of Kolhapur in Maharashtra are involved in the business of designing stunning Kolhapuri chappals and juttis. The men in the families are responsible for cutting leather or other fabric. Women move forward with dipping the fabric in water and stitching the patta. The kids are interested in doing the weaving part. A special type of oil is used to remove wrinkles from the fabric. The intense manufacturing process of Kolhapuri chappals make them highly durable, waterproof, and functional.
In the modern era, the process of designing Kolhapuri chappals has undergone a major transformation -keeping up with the modern capabilities and sensibilities. The Kolhapuri chappals that we get in the market nowadays are immensely lightweight and feature a thin, flat sole.
Contemporary Style of Modern Kolhapuri chappal
The conventional range of Kolhapuri chappals was available in dark brown or tan color. They featured intricate designs of threads that were woven into the flap. In most cases, they had the presence of a brightly-colored fur ball towards the center to enhance the overall look.
In modern days, designer Kolhapuri chappals from leading brands like Fizzy Goblet are available in a myriad of colors and intricate designs and embellishments. Most of them feature intricate zari work, colorful pom poms, tassles, and gotta work along with various other types of embellishments to impart them a fashionable and royal appearance.
Initially, what was regarded as a rugged footwear piece for men is now being flaunted by fashionable ladies at traditional events and other instances to ensure that these footwear classics are more interesting.
Interesting Facts About Kolhapuri chappals
- Even though they are primarily made out of leather, the Kolhapuri chappals are waterproof and immensely strong.
- It is believed that Madonna used to have a pair of Kolhapuri chappals that she adored
- There is no use of machinery in the process of manufacturing designer Kolhapuri chappals. The process involves hand-based stitching to make them even more durable.
- To impart the footwear a richer and darker appeal, these are dipped in diesel.
- Kolhapuri chappals are great footwear pieces to be worn during summers as they help in reducing body heat and cooling the feet.Also Visit: Juttis Online -Your Ultimate Shopping Guide
Latest Fashion Trends that Make Kolhapuri chappal Special
- Go Boho by Pairing them with Jeans: You can never go wrong with a classic pair of Kolhapuri chappals and denim or jeans. Include any colored top to complete the Boho look. Embrace the unique Boho style by pairing this designer footwear with maxi skirts. You can also put on Boho jewelry pieces to enhance your look.
- Become Ethnic-ready in No Time: Kolhapuri chappals indeed complement your ethnic look effortlessly. Team the designer piece with a stunning ethnic kurta, churidar, and interesting jewelry. Ensure that your classic Kolhapuri chappals style is unique from others by flaunting brightly-colored chappals.
- Adorn Western Dresses with Kolhapuris: If you wish to amplify your overall mood while wearing westerns. Similarly, you can add a touch of elegance and uniqueness by pairing your western outfit with ethnic Kolhapuri chappals. You can create a glamorous look effortlessly while retaining your ethnic vibe at the same time.
Kolhapuri chappals are a true testament to the skills and expertise of hardworking artisans from different parts of Maharashtra. These simple, yet highly versatile footwear pieces have stood the test of time while being in vogue -even after several decades. Also made with pure love and respect for the skill. these Kolhapuri chappals are a must-have fashion accessory for both urban as well as chic everyday ensembles.
Also Visit: shoes for women at a great price online